Welcome to Jessica's Hope. This blog is designed to keep friends and family up to date on Jessica's journey with cancer. In all of this we have to always remember, just as Jessica is doing, that Christ is our ultimate hope. He is the sole reason that we live. To Him belong all glory and honor.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Note about Questioning God

Thank you for praying for Lil' Jessi. She continues to struggle with breathing problems and blood clots. Please pray for her health in both areas. Please pray for our continual testimony to the nurses, doctors, hospital staff, and other patients. Please pray for and support those around you who are going through difficult times. Be a body: reach out with the arms of Christ!

A Note about Questioning God:
I get frustrated hearing various speakers talk about suffering -- especially when they have experienced nothing and see everything as black and white. I know these people have their place. After all, the ones caught in the middle of suffering have emotional ups-and-downs to contend with, while the teachers of the Word filter everything through logic, exegesis, and (hopefully) faith. But one perspective in particular needs addressing. In Fundamental circles, I often hear comments like, "You shouldn't question God." or "Questioning God is a sin."
Then I read the book of Job and saw all the questions Job had for God. I read about his demands in chapter 23 for God to give him his day in court so that he would be found innocent and come forth as gold. [Note: this chapter is often misconstrued as the trial refining Job to make him come out on the other side as gold, aka: a better person. But that is a misreading. Job is saying that if God put him on trial for sinning, then God would find that Job was indeed righteous aka: "gold".] Then I read that "in all this Job neither charged God with wrong nor sinned with his lips."
So what does that say about questioning God? That to do so is a sin? How about a different approach. What if questioning God were a sign of intimacy -- how close Job was to his God? If a faithful husband suddenly cheats on his equally faithful wife of 25 years, then do you think she would "have questions" for him? Of course she would. "Was I not good enough for you?!" "What did I do to make you hate me?!" Job was feeling like a jilted lover. He felt betrayed. God seemed so far away for no reason. Job wanted to hear from God to know what he had done to deserve all the pain; instead, Job got three "miserable comforters."
Brothers and Sisters, I do not advocate unbridled, emotionally-packed demands of the Almighty. But let's be real at least for a moment. Job questioned God, but he did not sin. He questioned God because he knew God. He questioned God because he was close to Him. He questioned God because everything he knew about God told him that "God is love." Job was so close to God that he had to ask "Why?".
Those who are hurting, be comforted. God knows that we are dust. God gave us emotions, and He knows that life is full of pain. He hears our questions; He collects our tears; He felt our pain as He became sin for us on the cross. He does not turn up his nose to our questions. True, He may not answer our questions directly, but He does not despise us for them. In the end, my Friends, all we can do is put our hands over our mouths and worship and trust Him with our lives. God is good all the time.

14 comments:

  1. I agree. I think God wants us to question Him. Like our children question us when there is something they do not understand, we question God when there is something we do not understand. To blindly accept means to miss out on much of what He would have us to learn from our hardships. Our hardships are given for growth, but how can we grow if we don't even question to find out what He might be trying to teach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.

    One of my favorite preachers Randy Pike has ten messages on Job. They can be found and listened to at www.fwbt.us/randypike.html.

    We pray daily for the Council/Rogers families.

    Bruce & Janna Rampey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this...I needed to read this and ponder your words that have so wonderfully pointed me away from men's words that have hurt so and directed me to the truth of scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clint-

    Your words are always so encouraging and stirring. You were the first to suggest to me that friendship with God was possible. Years down the road I'm so very grateful for the investment you made in Hannah and I.

    I pray for you and your family often. My husband and I are expecting our first son on April 13th. We've been blessed with a very normal pregnancy. I don't know what it feels like to be were you are but I know God can defy all the "odds". He did with Jess and I. We were 12 weeks early. Praying His love will strengthen your inner man, and that he continues to hold all things together in perfection in Lil Jessi.

    Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clint, so well spoken. I often read Job for an encouragement and appreciate your insightfulness. Thanks for the continued up dates on baby Jess. Could you share how old she is? I'm not sure how many weeks she was when she was born. Prayers for you & Aiden as well as Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying or you. I'm so sorry.Trust the following will be of an encouragement to you...
    "Sometimes people of faith have a hard time remembering that suffering was an excruciatingly painful process for Job. ‘The Lord gives and the Lord takes away; blessed be the name of the Lord,’ we quote Job brightly—forgetting that when he said it he had shaved his head and torn his clothes and that a few days later he was sitting on an ash heap, covering in painful boils and cursing the day he was born." Written In Tears by Luke Veldt

    ~Tammy S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Clint, just checking in to see how you guys are and to let you know that many ask us on a coninual basis how lil Jessi is doing and to let us know they are praying faithfully for her and all of you. We celebrated Tom's 50th yesterday (its really today) and I was looking through all our old photos to find pics of him through out the years and found some of you guys when you were little! so precious! I want to know where all of your curly blonde hair went! :) love you!
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so sorry for your loss and are in awe of your wife's holiness and courage. We pray that God grants you and your sweet miracles the Graces needed to continue grieving for your beloved wife while praising Him.

    Our hearts are heavy for you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is baby Jessica?


    I pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Council,

    I read the article about you and your wife on Life Site News. It really moved me. It is amazing what you both did. I will be praying for you and your kids.

    Chrisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clint,

    I just read your story in an article posted in LifeSiteNews and I am sorry to hear about your wife. I do not know what it means to loose a spouse but I have experienced great suffering through the death of my first child. I have somehow lived a similar experience as you during my pregnancy when doctors strongly recommended us to abort our daughter after I lost all my fluid at week 18 and they told me there was no hope for our baby. She made it to week 25, was born but left us soon after birth. Four years later we are still morning her loss. I guess what I am trying to say with all this is that while things will ease in time, the wound in you heart never will and will never heal. People might tell you that as time goes by you will forget the pain caused by what you lived, but the truth is, you do not want to forget anything, especially the pain, because it is through this unexplainable suffering that we can appreciate more the miracle of life and God's unconditional love for us. I pray that you might continue to trust in God's good plan for your family and in the many people He has put on your path to help you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So well said. You know what has taken me four years to learn. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete